Prepare UPSC Geology: Check out How to Prepare UPSC Geology Optional subject 2022 – Study Strategy. UPSC Mains Geology Optional subject Preparation Tips are provided here. UPSC Notification 2022 has released. Today we’ve provided a Preparation strategy for UPSC Geology optional Paper. UPSC has already announced the IAS / Civil Services Exam Dates. Before going to start the preparation strategy for UPSC, know UPSC Mains Syllabus. You can check Suggested Strategy for Geology optional for the UPSC IAS mains exam.
Content in this Article
How to Prepare UPSC Geology Optional Subject
Geology gives insight into the history of the Earth by providing the primary evidence for plate tectonics, the evolutionary history of life, and past climates. Geology is important for mineral and hydrocarbon exploration and exploitation, evaluating water resources, understanding of natural hazards, the remediation of environmental problems, and for providing insights into past climate change. Geology also plays a role in geotechnical engineering and is a major academic discipline.
- know your UPSC Civil Services Exam syllabus
- Select Best Reference Books
- Prepare a Study plan
- Prepare own Preparation Notes
- Practice Previous Question Papers
- Practice few Mock Test Papers
Why Geology optional?
Geology is one of the optional subjects offered by the UPSC in the mains exam. It is not an option that comes to mind most easily unlike, say history or public administration. There are very few people taking Geology optional mostly because it is a highly specialized subject. However, it is regarded as a very scoring subject.
UPSC Preparation Tips
UPSC Aspirants should follow exam tips to write the exam. Preparation tips are needed for any exam. UPSC exam should be conducted once in every year. Planning and hard work are very important to face any competitive exam. Below are some of the tips for preparation. Paper I covers geomorphology, paleontology, geotectonic, etc. Paper-II sees questions from igneous and metamorphic petrology, mineralogy, geochemistry, etc. Environmental geology is also important.
Step 1: Know UPSC Geology syllabus
In the previous article, we’ve provided UPSC Mains Geology Syllabus. You can check and find what are the applicable topics and chapter for UPSC IAS Mains Exam.
Step 2: Select Best Reference Books for UPSC Geology
To prepare UPSC Geology Optional Subject, UPSC aspirants should prepare some reference books. We’ve already provided UPSC Reference Books for All optional papers. You can check our best-recommended books for the IAS exam at the given link below. The suggested books are included in optional and language Subjects.
Recommended books for Geology:
- Trends in Objective Geology – Aussif Sayeed
- Text Book of Geology – P.K. Mukherjee
- Concise Geology – P.K. Mukherjee
- Geologic Settings and Petroleum Systems of India’s East Coast Offshore Basins : Concepts and Applications- Ravi,Bastia
- Geological Maps- D.K. Awasthi
- Delta Sedimentation: East Coast of India- Singh, I.B. & Swamy, A.S.R.
- Dimensions of Himalayan Geology- Biyani, A.K.
- Early Man in Eastern Himalayas : North-East India and Nepal- Sharma, A. K.
- Delta Sedimentation: East Coast of India- Singh, I.B. & Swamy, A.S.R.
- Mineral Exploration : Recent Strategies- S. Rajendran et al.
Step 3: Prepare a Study Plan
The study plan is very important for every exam preparation. It plays a key role in the success of getting a good score in the UPSC exam. Prepare a study plan for the UPSC exam. Make a monthly plan, weekly plan and daily schedule to prepare UPSC Geology Optional Paper. Allot the time for exam preparation and set the time for playing, eating, watching TV, and studying.
Daily prepare a few hours and spend at least 8 hours for IAS exam preparation.
UPSC Geology Preparation Plan for 3 months
If you have 3 months of preparation time for the UPSC Mains exam, You can prepare 8-9 hours per day.
|UPSC Preparation Plan for Geology (Before 3 Months)|
|Paper A – Indian Language||1 hr daily|
|Paper B – English||1 hr daily|
|Paper 2 – General Studies 1||1 hrs. daily|
|Paper 3 – General Studies 2||1 hrs. daily|
|Paper 4 – General Studies 3||1 hrs. daily|
|Paper 5 – General Studies 4||1 hrs. daily|
|Paper 6 – Geology Optional Paper 1||1 hrs. daily|
|Paper 7 – Geology Optional Paper 2||1 hrs. daily|
Step 4: Prepare UPSC Geology Important Topics
Geology Paper I and Paper II Important Topics
- Paper I covers geomorphology, paleontology, geotectonic, etc.
- Paper-II sees questions from igneous and metamorphic petrology, mineralogy, geochemistry, etc.
- Environmental geology is also important.
- It is recommended that you focus on mineral revelation, ore genesis, Indian mineral silt, etc.
- You can expect questions from mineral trading and lending, the geology of energies, designing topography, groundwater science, underground water examination, issues and administration, incident and designation of water.
- In this optional, no topic should be left uncovered.
As you know the marks of the optional paper is crucial to decide your ranking in the final list, you to have to perform exceptionally well in the paper of your choice. Since the rest of the papers are compulsory for all, its only the optional paper that can make or break your fortune. So don’t try to do selective reading and gamble, as there is only one optional paper now.
Final Step: Prepare UPSC Geology Previous Question Papers & Practice papers
Download UPSC Mains Geology Question Papers. We’ve provided UPSC mains Geology Previous Question papers for download in PDF format.
Who should opt for Geology?
If you have had Geology as your subject during graduation and you have a sound knowledge and interest in it, you should definitely go for Geology optional in the IAS mains exam. Geology a branch of Earth Sciences has risen as one of the most secure and scoring optional subjects for the UPSC. This subject is easy to understand, hence easy to crack. So, if the aspirants have profound interests in geology, then choose this subject. The syllabus of geology for the UPSC Mains exam is long and aspirants may require over three months covering the syllabus. There are very few people taking Geology optional mostly because it is a highly specialized subject.
How much time does it take to prepare?
4-5 months, if you study Geology 12-15 hours per week. This should be enough. Also, it depends on how much can you recall your graduation concepts.
Ideally, aspirants need 4-5 months to complete the optional subject solely. Here we are giving the best suitable strategies for Geology optional for UPSC IAS Mains Exam.
- Aspirants should have an exhaustive knowledge about the syllabus of Geology optional.
- Candidates should know the basic concept of Geology to tackle Paper-II.
- Make short notes, flowchart and diagram will preparing. These short notes will help in revision time.
- Aspirants should guarantee that they are emphasizing sustainability and economic dimensions also.
- Aspirants opting Geology as their option should update the up-to-date data taken from Government reports annual report regarding Geology.
- The essential part of UPSC IAS Exam preparation is solving the previous year’s UPSC Mains questions papers. For Geology also aspirants should go through the Previous year question paper to extract an idea about exam patterns, trends, etc.
This article titled “How to Prepare UPSC Geology Optional subject 2022 – Study Strategy – Suggested by Toppers ” gives the detailed information about the tips for the preparation of the UPSC exam for all optional papers. Additional information like Reference books for UPSC Mains, IAS Previous question papers are also given above. Students should follow those tips and prepare well for the exam and download the links for more information about UPSC.