GATE Agricultural Engineering Syllabus 2022: Check out the latest GATE Exam Syllabus for Agricultural Engineering (AG). Agriculture subject is one of the papers in GATE 2022 Exam. Earlier we’ve provided the GATE Exam pattern 2022, Now we are providing the GATE Syllabus 2022 of Agriculture Paper. AG is the subj code of the GATE Agriculture Engineering Examination. Below we’ve provided GATE Agriculture Engineering Syllabus and weightage for GATE 2022 Exam. Here you can see Agriculture Engineering applicable chapters and topics for GATE exam 2022.
Content in this Article
GATE Paper Pattern & Marks Weightage
GATE paper questions are divided into three sections. As given below GATE exam marks are distributed for each section. 70 percentage of the marks are cover the core subject of the GATE. i.e here Core Subject is Agriculture Engineering.
GATE 2018 – 2022
Paper Pattern for Agricultural Engineering (AG)
|GATE Paper Sections||GATE Marks Distribution|
|Subject Questions (Core Subject)||70% of the total marks.|
|Engineering Mathematics||15% of the total marks.|
|General Aptitude (GA)||15% of the total marks.|
GATE Agricultural Engineering Syllabus
The GATE exam will also have General Aptitude section. General Aptitude section is common for all papers. You can download the GATE 2021 Syllabus for General Aptitude (GA) in PDF or you can check
GATE General Aptitude (GA) Syllabus (Full Details)
GATE 2022 Syllabus pdf
GATE Agricultural Engineering Syllabus
|General Aptitude Syllabus (Common to all papers)||Download|
|GATE Syllabus for Agricultural Engineering (AG)||Download|
Linear Algebra: Matrices and Determinants, Systems of linear equations, Eigen values and eigen vectors.
Calculus:Limit, continuity and differentiability; partial derivatives; maxima and minima; sequences and series; tests for convergence; Fourier series, Taylor series.
Vector Calculus:Gradient; divergence and curl; line; surface and volume integrals; Stokes, Gauss and Green’s theorems.
Differential Equations:Linear and non-linear 1st order Ordinary Differential Equations; Higher order linear ODEs with constant coeff Cauchy’s and Euler’s equations; Laplace transforms; Partial Diff Equations – Laplace, heat & wave equations
Probability and Statistics:Mean, median, mode and standard deviation; random variables; Poisson, normal and binomial distributions; correlation and regression analysis; tests of significance, analysis of variance (ANOVA).
Numerical Methods: Solutions of linear and non-linear algebraic equations; numerical integration – trapezoidal and Simpson’s rule; numerical solutions of ODE.
Machine Design: Design and selection of machine elements –measurement of force, torque, speed, displacement and acceleration on machine elements. gears, pulleys, chains and sprockets and belts; overload safety devices used in farm machinery;
Farm Machinery: Soil tillage; forces acting on a tillage tool; hitch systems and hitching of tillage implements; functional requirements, sowing, planting, fertilizer application, ; cost analysis of implements and tractors inter-cultivation, spraying, mowing, chaff cutting, harvesting, threshing and transport; testing of agricultural machinery and equipment; principles of working, construction and operation of manual, animal and power operated equipment for tillage, calculation of performance parameters – field capacity, efficiency, application rate and losses.
Sources of Power: Sources of power on the farm: human, animal, electrical, wind, solarmechanical, and biomass; bio-fuels.
Farm Power: Thermodynamic principles of I.C. engines; I.C. engine cycles; engine components; fuels and combustion; lubricants and their properties; I.C. engine systems – fuel, cooling, lubrication, ignition, electrical, intake and exhaust; selection, operation, maintenance and repair of I.C. engines; power efficiencies and measurement; calculation of power, torque, fuel consumption, heat load and power losses.
Tractors and Powertillers: Type, selection, maintenance and repair of tractors and powertillers; tractor clutches and brakes; power transmission systems – gear trains, differential, final drives and power take-off; mechanics of tractor chassis; traction theory; three point hitches- free link and restrained link operations; mechanical steering and hydraulic control systems used in tractors; tractor tests and performance.
Human engineering and safety in design of tractor and agricultural implements
|Gate AG Question Papers||Gate Agriculture Books||Gate AG Preparation Tips|
|Gate Cutoff Marks for Agriculture Engg.||Gate AG Sample Papers||Gate Answer Key for Agricultural Engineering|
Soil And Water Conservation Engineering
- Ideal and real fluids, properties of fluids
- hydrostatic pressure and its measurement
- hydrostatic forces on plane and curved surface
- continuity equation
- Bernoulli’s theorem
- laminar and turbulent flow in pipes, Darcy- Weisbach and Hazen-Williams equations, Moody’s diagram
- flow through orifices and notches
- flow in open channels.
- Engineering properties of soils
- fundamental definitions and relationships
- index properties of soils; permeability and seepage analysis
- shear strength, Mohr’s circle of stress, active and passive earth pressures
- stability of slopes.
- Hydrological cycle and components
- meteorological parameters, their measurement and analysis of precipitation data
- runoff estimation
- hydrograph analysis, unit hydrograph theory and application
- stream flow measurement
- flood routing, hydrological reservoir and channel routing.
Surveying and Leveling:
- Measurement of distance and area
- instruments for surveying and leveling
- chain surveying, methods of traversing
- measurement of angles and bearings, plane table surveying
- types of leveling
- theodolite traversing
- contouring; computation of areas and volume.
Soil and Water Erosion:
- Mechanics of soil erosion, soil erosion types, wind and water erosion, factors affecting erosion
- soil loss estimation
- biological and engineering measures to control erosion
- terraces and bunds
- vegetative waterways
- gully control structures, drop, drop inlet and chute spillways
- earthen dams.
- Watershed characterization
- land use capability classification;rainwater harvesting structures,check dams and farm ponds.
Irrigation And Drainage Engineering
- Water requirement of crops
- consumptive use and evapotranspiration
- measurement of infiltration, soil moisture and irrigation water infiltration.
Irrigation Water Conveyance and Application Methods:
- Design of irrigation channels and underground pipelines
- irrigation scheduling; surface, sprinkler, and micro-irrigation methods, design and evaluation of irrigation methods
- irrigation efficiencies.
- Drainage coeff planning, design & layout of surface and sub-surface drainage sys’s
- leaching requirement & salinity control
- irrigation & drainage water quality and reuse.
- Ground water occurrence
- Darcy’s Law, steady flow in confined & unconfined aquifers, evaluation of aquifer properties
- groundwater recharge.
Wells and Pumps:
- Types of wells and steady flow through wells
- pumps classification
- characteristics of pump
- pumps selection & installation.
Agricultural Processing & Food Engineering
Engineering Properties of agricultural Produce: Physical, thermal, frictional, rheological, and electrical properties.
Evaporation and Drying: Concentration and drying of liquid foods – evaporators, tray, drum and spray dryers; hydrothermal treatments; drying and milling of cereals, pulses, and oilseeds; drying kinetics; psychrometry – properties of air-water vapor mixture.
Size Reduction & Conveying:
- Mechanics & energy requirement in size reduction of granular solids
- particle size analysis for comminuted solids
- size separation by screening
- fluidization of granular solids-pneumatic, bucket, screw & belt conveying
- cleaning and grading
- effectiveness of grain cleaners
- centrifugal separation of solids, liquids and gases.
Processing and By-product Utilization:
- Processing of seeds, spices, fruits and vegetables
- By-product utilization from processing industries.
- Controlled and modified atmosphere storage
- perishable food storage, godowns, bins and grain silos.
Dairy And Food Engineering
Heat and Mass Transfer:
- Steady state heat transfer in conduction
- diffusive and convective mass transfer
- simultaneous heat and mass transfer in agricultural processing operations
- material and energy balances in food processing systems
- convection and radiation
- transient heat transfer in simple geometry
- working principles of heat exchangers
- water activity, sorption, and desorption isotherms.
Preservation of Food:
- Kinetics of microbial death – pasteurization and sterilization of milk and other liquid foods
- refrigeration and cold storage basics and applications.
- preservation of food by cooling and freezing
IMPORTANT LINKS for GATE 2022
|GATE 2022 Complete Details||GATE Application Form|
|GATE 2022 Syllabus||GATE 2022 Exam Date & Fee|
|GATE Preparation Tips||Free GATE Books|