Strategy to Prepare UPSC Indian History Optional subject: Check out Strategy to Prepare UPSC Indian History 2022 Optional subject – Study Strategy. UPSC Mains Indian History Optional subject Preparation Tips are provided here. UPSC Notification 2022 has released. Today we’ve provided a Preparation strategy for UPSC Indian History optional Paper. UPSC has already announced the IAS / Civil Services Exam Dates. Before going to start the preparation strategy for UPSC, know UPSC Mains Syllabus. You can check Suggested Strategy for Indian History optional for the UPSC IAS mains exam.
Content in this Article
Strategy to Prepare UPSC Indian History Optional subject
History is one of the most popular optional subjects in the IAS exam partly because we all have studied History in our school and/or college days. Also, it is fun and interesting to read with all the historic tales, battles, and cultures to study. This post lists the recommended books for History optional of Mains exam. The books are categorized as per the syllabus: Ancient, Medieval, Modern History, and World History.
- know your UPSC Civil Services Exam syllabus
- Select Best Reference Books
- Prepare a Study plan
- Prepare own Preparation Notes
- Practice Previous Question Papers
- Practice few Mock Test Papers
Why Indian History optional?
- The subject is plain, involves no typical theories, doctrines, principles, and ideas and on the balance is marked by the absence of technicalities.
- Current issues are absent what one finds in almost all popular optional subjects, so preparation does not require updating. Everything is almost fixed in history.
- In Preliminary Examination there are about 15 to 18 questions constituting 30 to 36 marks (GS Paper-I (Prelim)
- In GS-I (Paper-II Main) History is expected to constitute over 50% marks (125+ marks)
UPSC Preparation Tips
Strategy to Prepare UPSC Indian History Optional subject: UPSC Aspirants should follow exam tips to write the exam. Preparation tips are needed for any exam. UPSC exam should be conducted once in every year. Planning and hard work are very important to face any competitive exam. Below are some of the tips for preparation. The Paper I of History is about Ancient India and Medieval India. Paper-II is about Modern History and World History.
Step 1: Know UPSC Indian History syllabus
In the previous article, we’ve provided UPSC Mains Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science Syllabus. You can check and find what are the applicable topics and chapter for UPSC IAS Mains 2020 Exam.
Step 2: Select Best Reference Books for UPSC Indian History
To prepare the UPSC Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science Optional Subject, UPSC aspirants should prepare some reference books. We’ve already provided UPSC Reference Books for All optional papers. You can check our best-recommended books for the IAS exam at the given link below. The suggested books are included in optional and language Subjects.
Recommended books for Indian History:
- History of Modern World – Jain and Mathur
- Mastering Modern World History -Norman Lowe
- India After Gandhi – Ramchandra Guha
- India’s Struggle for Independence – Bipan Chandra.
- History Of Modern India – Bipan Chandra
- Indian Art and Culture – Nitin Singhania
- India’s Ancient Past – R.S. Sharma (Ancient History book for UPSC exam)
- The Wonder That Was India – A.L. Bhasham (Ancient History book for UPSC exam)
- From Plassey to Partition: A History of Modern India.
Step 3: Prepare a Study Plan
The study plan is very important for every exam preparation. It plays a key role in the success of getting a good score in the UPSC exam. Prepare a study plan for the UPSC exam. Make a monthly plan, weekly plan and daily schedule to prepare UPSC Indian History, Optional Paper. Allot the time for exam preparation and set the time for playing, eating, watching TV, and studying.
Daily prepare a few hours and spend at least 8 hours for IAS exam preparation.
UPSC Indian History Preparation Plan for 3 months
If you have 3 months of preparation time for the UPSC Mains exam, You can prepare 8-9 hours per day.
|UPSC Preparation Plan for Indian History (Before 3 Months)|
|Paper A – Indian Language||1 hr daily|
|Paper B – English||1 hr daily|
|Paper 2 – General Studies 1||1 hrs. daily|
|Paper 3 – General Studies 2||1 hrs. daily|
|Paper 4 – General Studies 3||1 hrs. daily|
|Paper 5 – General Studies 4||1 hrs. daily|
|Paper 6 – Indian History Optional Paper 1||1 hrs. daily|
|Paper 7 – Indian History Optional Paper 2||1 hrs. daily|
Step 4: Prepare UPSC Indian History Important Topics
Indian History Paper I and Paper II Important Topics
- Freedom Struggle and important movements
- Rock-cut monuments
- Important dynasties in medieval India
- Medieval dictionary
- occupational caste, tribe, and nomad
- Ancient times taxation and administration
- Land reforms and revenue system
- Governor generals and viceroys
As you know the marks of the optional paper are crucial to deciding your ranking in the final list, you to have to perform exceptionally well in the paper of your choice. Since the rest of the papers are compulsory for all, its only the optional paper that can make or break your fortune. So don’t try to do selective reading and gamble, as there is only one optional paper now.
Final Step: Prepare UPSC Indian History Previous Question Papers & Practice papers
Download UPSC Mains Indian History Question Papers. We’ve provided UPSC mains Indian History Previous Question papers for download in PDF format.
Who should opt for Indian History?
Strategy to Prepare UPSC Indian History Optional subject: History is an interesting subject which gives us information about our past. It is blended with culture also. From history only we came to know about the life before us. If you have good enough knowledge of history, it is very easy to crack the UPSC exam. History, undoubtedly, remains one of the ‘most popular’ optional subjects among those who take the Civil Services Main Examination. If you are not intimidated by a big syllabus, this subject has a number of advantages: it is easier to grasp, plenty of study material, history covers an important segment of General Studies paper.
How much time does it take to prepare?
Strategy to Prepare UPSC Indian History Optional subject: 4-5 months if you study Indian History 12-15 hours per week. This should be enough. Also, it depends on how much can you recall your graduation concepts.
Ideally, aspirants need 4-5 months to complete the optional subject solely. Here we are giving the best suitable strategies for Indian History optional for UPSC IAS Mains Exam.
- Aspirants should have an exhaustive knowledge about the syllabus of Indian History optional.
- Candidates should know the basic concept of Indian History to tackle Paper-II.
- Make short notes, flowchart and diagram will preparing. These short notes will help in revision time.
- Aspirants should guarantee that they are emphasizing sustainability and economic dimensions also.
- Read a lot from history periodicals and journals related to world history. Acquire knowledge from a lot of sources. This will help you in writing effective answers which will boost your score.
- The essential part of UPSC IAS Exam preparation is solving the previous year’s UPSC Mains questions papers. For Indian History also aspirants should go through the Previous year question paper to extract an idea about exam patterns, trends, etc.
UPSC Official website: Click Here
This article titled “Strategy to Prepare UPSC Indian History Optional subject 2022 – Study Strategy – Suggested by Toppers ” gives detailed information about the tips for the preparation of the Strategy to Prepare UPSC Indian History Optional subject. Additional information like Reference books for UPSC Mains, IAS Previous question papers are also given above. Students should follow those tips and prepare well for the exam and download the links for more information about UPSC.