How to Prepare UPSC Mains Sociology Optional subject: Check out How to Prepare UPSC Sociology Optional subject 2023– Study Strategy. UPSC Mains Sociology Optional subject Preparation Tips are provided here. UPSC Notification 2022 has released (यूपीएससी मेन्स समाजशास्त्र की तैयारी कैसे करें). Today we’ve provided a Preparation strategy for UPSC Sociology optional Paper. UPSC has already announced the IAS / Civil Services Exam Dates. Before going to start the preparation strategy for UPSC, know UPSC Mains Syllabus. You can check Suggested Strategy for Sociology optional for the UPSC IAS mains exam.
Content in this Article
How to Prepare UPSC Mains Sociology Optional subject
How to Prepare UPSC Mains Sociology Optional subject: Sociology as a subject is helpful in many ways. A good hold over the subject helps you immensely in handling the social issues in General Studies paper. Even in the essay questions, there is certainly at least one topic from the subject of Sociology. Moreover, the interview also has a substantial portion involving social issues. With the right approach, it is possible to clear this exam in the first attempt but don’t get depressed if you fail.
- know your UPSC Civil Services Exam syllabus
- Select Best Reference Books
- Prepare a Study plan
- Prepare own Preparation Notes
- Practice Previous Question Papers
- Practice few Mock Test Papers
Why Sociology optional?
No special knowledge or academic background is required for the preparation of Sociology as an optional subject. Numerous evidence shows that candidates without any special skill in Sociology have obtained high scores. The basic requirement of high scoring is actually the understanding of different elements of Sociology in the right direction and making their use in a well-arranged and well-organized way. In other words, it can be said that Sociology is made up of different elements and all the elements are inter-related with each other in one or another way. How do we take up or understand these inter-relations, all depends on our personal ability.
UPSC Preparation Tips
How to Prepare UPSC Mains Sociology: UPSC Aspirants should follow exam tips to write the exam. Preparation tips are needed for any exam. UPSC exam should be conducted once in every year. Planning and hard work are very important to face any competitive exam. Below are some of the tips for preparation. Paper I of Sociology deals with the fundamentals of Sociology where Paper-II of Sociology optional deals with the Indian society, its structure, and change.
Step 1: Know UPSC Sociology syllabus
In the previous article, we’ve provided UPSC Mains Sociology Syllabus. You can check and find what are the applicable topics and chapter for UPSC IAS Mains Exam.
Step 2: Select Best Reference Books for UPSC Sociology
To prepare UPSC Sociology Optional Subject, UPSC aspirants should prepare some reference books. We’ve already provided UPSC Reference Books for All optional papers. You can check our best-recommended books for the IAS exam at the given link below. The suggested books are included in optional and language Subjects.
Recommended books for Sociology:
- Sociology – Harry M. Johnson
- Sociology: An introduction and analysis – Maclver and Page
- Handbook of Sociology – Ogburn, and Ninkoff
Social anthropology – Madan and Majumdar
- Social Thought – Abraham and Morgan
- Dictionary of sociology – Dunean and Mitchel or Penguin
- Sociology Dictionary – William P. Scott
- Introductory sociology: T.B. Bottmore
- The basic contribution of sociological and anthropological thinkers: dictionary of sociology, social and cultural process: Maclver and Page and Madan & Majumdar
- Deviance and central: Social stratification – Harlambos and T.B. Bottomore
- Political institutions – Bottomore
- Religious and social institutions – Madan & Majumdar Niel J. Smelser- Economy and Society
- Abraham and Francis – Sociological theory
Step 3: Prepare a Study Plan
The study plan is very important for every exam preparation. It plays a key role in the success of getting a good score in the UPSC exam. Prepare a study plan for the UPSC exam. Make a monthly plan, weekly plan and daily schedule to prepare UPSC Sociology Optional Paper. Allot the time for exam preparation and set the time for playing, eating, watching TV, and studying.
Daily prepare a few hours and spend at least 8 hours for IAS exam preparation.
UPSC Sociology Preparation Plan for 3 months
If you have 3 months of preparation time for the UPSC Mains exam, you can prepare 8-9 hours per day.
|UPSC Preparation Plan for Sociology (Before 3 Months)|
|Paper A – Indian Language||1 hr daily|
|Paper B – English||1 hr daily|
|Paper 2 – General Studies 1||1 hrs. daily|
|Paper 3 – General Studies 2||1 hrs. daily|
|Paper 4 – General Studies 3||1 hrs. daily|
|Paper 5 – General Studies 4||1 hrs. daily|
|Paper 6 – Sociology Optional Paper 1||1 hrs. daily|
|Paper 7 – Sociology Optional Paper 2||1 hrs. daily|
Step 4: Prepare UPSC Sociology Important Topics
Sociology Paper I Important Topics
- Sociological Theory
- Oxford Dictionary Of Sociology
- Sociological Thought
- Political Theory
- Social Change in India
- Caste Its Twentieth Century Avatar
- Handbook of Indian Sociology
- Indian Society and Culture
- Modernization of Indian Tradition
- Persistence and Change in Tribal India
- Rural Sociology – Doshi and Jain
- Social Background of Indian Nationalism
As you know the marks of the optional paper are crucial to deciding your ranking in the final list, you to have to perform exceptionally well in the paper of your choice. Since the rest of the papers are compulsory for all, its only the optional paper that can make or break your fortune. So don’t try to do selective reading and gamble, as there is only one optional paper now.
Final Step: Prepare UPSC Sociology Previous Question Papers & Practice papers
How to Prepare UPSC Mains Sociology: Download UPSC Mains Sociology Question Papers. We’ve provided UPSC mains Sociology Previous Question papers for download in PDF format.
Who should opt for Sociology?
Sociology has turned out as a vital part of General Studies paper well as an optional paper in Civil Services Mains Examination. Being one of the easiest optional subjects, many aspirants take Sociology yearly as their optional for UPSC IAS Mains Exam. It is pure social science and is popular with humanities students. Since it is easy to understand, even science background students can attempt it safely.
How much time does it take to prepare?
How to Prepare UPSC Mains Sociology: 4-5 months, if you study Sociology 12-15 hours per week. This should be enough. Also, it depends on how much can you recall your graduation concepts.
Ideally, aspirants need 4-5 months to complete the optional subject solely. Here we are giving the best suitable strategies for Sociology optional for the UPSC IAS Mains exam.
- Aspirants should have an exhaustive knowledge about the syllabus of Sociology optional.
- Candidates should know the basic concept of Sociology to tackle Paper-II.
- Thinkers are the backbone of sociology, so, understanding is very important rather than only specific terms. In fact, after studying individual thinkers try comparing it with the views of other thinkers.
- For theory subjects like Sociology, You need to understand what various terms mean and master the jargon of the subject. Once you understand the concepts and the jargon, you can start writing your own notes and analysis.
- Aspirants should guarantee that they are emphasizing sustainability and economic dimensions also.
- Aspirants opting for Sociology as their option should update the up-to-date data taken from Government reports annual report regarding Sociology.
- The essential part of UPSC IAS Exam preparation is solving the previous year’s UPSC Mains questions papers. For Sociology also aspirants should go through the Previous year question paper to extract an idea about exam patterns, trends, etc.
This article titled “How to Prepare UPSC Mains Sociology Optional subject 2023 – Study Strategy – Suggested by Toppers ” gives the detailed information about the tips for the preparation of the UPSC 2021 exam for all optional papers यूपीएससी मेन्स समाजशास्त्र. Additional information like Reference books for UPSC Mains, IAS Previous question papers are also given above. Students should follow those tips and prepare well for the exam and download the links for more information about UPSC.