Prepare UPSC Statistics: Check out How to Prepare UPSC Statistics Optional subject 2019 – Study Strategy. UPSC Mains Statistics Optional subject Preparation Tips are provided here. UPSC Notification 2019 has released. Today we’ve provided a Preparation strategy for UPSC Statistics optional Paper. UPSC has already announced the IAS / Civil Services Exam Dates (यूपीएससी सांख्यिकी वैकल्पिक विषय). Before going to start the preparation strategy for UPSC, know UPSC Mains Syllabus. You can check Suggested Strategy for Statistics optional for the UPSC IAS mains exam.
Content in this Article
How to Prepare UPSC Statistics Optional Subject
UPSC Mains Statistics optional subject is a branch of mathematics dealing with the collection, analysis, interpretation, presentation, and organization of data. In applying statistics to, e.g., a scientific, industrial, or social problem, it is conventional, to begin with, a statistical population or a statistical model process to be studied. Populations can be diverse topics such as “all people living in a country” or “every atom composing a crystal.” Statistics deals with all aspects of data including the planning of data collection in terms of the design of surveys and experiments. With the right approach, it is possible to clear this exam in the first attempt but don’t get depressed if you fail.
- know your UPSC Civil Services Exam syllabus
- Select Best Reference Books
- Prepare a Study plan
- Prepare own Preparation Notes
- Practice Previous Question Papers
- Practice few Mock Test Papers
Why Statistics Optional?
Statistics are most likely a decent subject to pick as an optional subject for the UPSC IAS mains exam, however, it will rely on upon aspirant’s interest. The syllabus of statistics for the UPSC IAS Mains exam includes varied elements. The aspirants need to do intensive practicing and wide reading for preparing this paper. you to need to perform outstandingly well in your preferred optional paper.
UPSC Preparation Tips
UPSC Aspirants should follow exam tips to write the exam. Preparation tips are needed for any exam. UPSC exam should be conducted once in every year. Planning and hard work are very important to face any competitive exam. Below are some of the tips for preparation.
Step 1: Know UPSC Statistics syllabus
In the previous article, we’ve provided UPSC Mains Statistics Syllabus. You can check and find what are the applicable topics and chapter for UPSC IAS Mains 2019 Exam.
Step 2: Select Best Reference Books for UPSC Statistics
To prepare the UPSC Statistics Optional Subject, UPSC aspirants should prepare some reference books. We’ve already provided UPSC Reference Books for All optional papers. You can check our best-recommended books for the IAS exam at the given link below. The suggested books are included in optional and language Subjects.
Recommended books for Statistics:
- An Introduction to Probability Theory & Mathematical Statistics -V K Rohtagi
- An Outline of Statistical Theory (2 Vol.) -A M Goon, M K Gupta, and B.Dass Gupta
- Fundamentals of Applied Statistics-S C Gupta and V K Kapoor
- Fundamentals of Mathematical Statistics-A C Gupta and V K Kapoor
- Fundamentals of Statistics (2 Vol.)- A M Goon, M K Gupta, and B Dass Gupta
- Introductory Probability and Statistical Applications – Paul Meyer
- Sampling Techniques-William G. Cochran
- Sampling Theory of Surveys with applications – B. V Sukhatme & B V Sukhatme
Step 3: Prepare a Study Plan
The study plan is very important for every exam preparation. It plays a key role in the success of getting a good score in the UPSC exam. Prepare a study plan for the UPSC exam. Make a monthly plan, weekly plan and daily schedule to prepare UPSC Statistics Optional Paper. Allot the time for exam preparation and set the time for playing, eating, watching TV, and studying.
Daily prepare a few hours and spend at least 8 hours for IAS exam preparation.
UPSC Statistics Preparation Plan for 3 months
If you have 3 months of preparation time for the UPSC Mains exam, you can prepare 8-9 hours per day.
|UPSC Preparation Plan for Statistics (Before 3 Months)|
|Paper A – Indian Language||1 hr daily|
|Paper B – English||1 hr daily|
|Paper 2 – General Studies 1||1 hrs. daily|
|Paper 3 – General Studies 2||1 hrs. daily|
|Paper 4 – General Studies 3||1 hrs. daily|
|Paper 5 – General Studies 4||1 hrs. daily|
|Paper 6 – Statistics Optional Paper 1||1 hrs. daily|
|Paper 7 – Statistics Optional Paper 2||1 hrs. daily|
Step 4: Prepare UPSC Statistics Important Topics
Statistics Paper I and Paper II Important Topics
- Statistical Inference
- Linear Inference and Multivariate Analysis
- Sampling Theory and Design of Experiments
- Industrial Statistics
- Optimization Techniques
- Quantitative Economics and Official Statistics
- Demography and Psychometry
As you know the marks of the optional paper are crucial to deciding your ranking in the final list, you to have to perform exceptionally well in the paper of your choice. Since the rest of the papers are compulsory for all, its only the optional paper that can make or break your fortune. So don’t try to do selective reading and gamble, as there is only one optional paper now.
Final Step: Prepare UPSC Statistics Previous Question Papers & Practice papers
Download UPSC Mains Statistics Question Papers. We’ve provided UPSC mains Statistics Previous Question papers for download in PDF format.
Who should opt for Statistics?
Candidates who have more interest in Mathematics and Statistics will choose Statistics as there optional subject. If students have prior expertise on the subject, you can very well choose, this subject will help you to attend other exams also such as Indian Engineering service exam, combined higher secondary level exam by SSC, etc., He/She may score well in Paper I which is like general studies but Paper-II becomes the eliminating factor if it is not covered exhaustively.
How much time does it take to prepare?
4-5 months, if you study Animal husbandry & veterinary science 12-15 hours per week. This should be enough. Also, it depends on how much can you recall your graduation concepts.
Ideally, aspirants need 4-5 months to complete the optional subject solely. Here we are giving the best suitable strategies for Statistics optional for the UPSC IAS Mains Exam.
- Aspirants should have an exhaustive knowledge about the syllabus of Statistics optional.
- Candidates should know the basic concept of Statistics to tackle Paper-II.
- Make short notes, flowchart and diagram will preparing. These short notes will help in revision time.
- Aspirants should guarantee that they are emphasizing sustainability and economic dimensions also.
- The essential part of UPSC IAS Exam preparation is solving the previous year’s UPSC Mains questions papers. Statistics also aspirants should go through the Previous year question paper to extract an idea about exam patterns, trends, etc.
This article titled “How to Prepare UPSC Statistics Optional subject 2019 – Study Strategy – Suggested by Toppers ” gives the detailed information about the tips for the preparation (यूपीएससी सांख्यिकी विषय) of the UPSC 2019 exam for all optional papers. Additional information like Reference books for UPSC Mains, IAS Previous question papers are also given above. Students should follow those tips and prepare well for the exam and download the links for more information about UPSC.