UPSC Mains Public Administration Optional subject: Check out How to Prepare UPSC Public Administration Optional subject 2019 – Study Strategy. UPSC Mains Public Administration Optional subject Preparation Tips are provided here. UPSC Notification 2019 has released. Today we’ve provided a Preparation strategy for UPSC Public Administration optional Paper. UPSC has already announced the IAS / Civil Services Exam Dates (यूपीएससी मेन्स पब्लिक एडमिनिस्ट्रेशन वैकल्पिक विषय). Before going to start the preparation strategy for UPSC, know UPSC Mains Syllabus. You can check the Suggested Strategy for Public Administration Optional for the UPSC IAS mains exam.
Content in this Article
How to Prepare UPSC Mains Public Administration Optional subject
Public administration is one of the most popular optional subjects candidates opt for in the UPSC civil services exam. For instance, in 2012 almost 50% of the successful candidates had public administration as their optional subject. That is indeed a high number. With the right approach, it is possible to clear this exam in the first attempt but don’t get depressed if you fail. Choosing an optional is a tough decision and candidates break their head on this.
- know your UPSC Civil Services Exam syllabus
- Select Best Reference Books
- Prepare a Study plan
- Prepare own Preparation Notes
- Practice Previous Question Papers
- Practice few Mock Test Papers
Why Public Administration optional?
- The subject basically gives you an idea about government mechanisms. As future administrators, you should have this knowledge.
- The subject is generally regarded as easy and simple to understand.
- The questions are generally straightforward.
- There is a lot of overlap with the general studies papers.
- Studying this subject will help you even in the essay paper and in your IAS interview also.
UPSC Preparation Tips
UPSC Aspirants should follow exam tips to write the exam. Preparation tips are needed for any exam. UPSC exam should be conducted once in every year. Planning and hard work are very important to face any competitive exam. Below are some of the tips for preparation.
Step 1: Know UPSC Public administration syllabus
In the previous article, we’ve provided UPSC Mains Public administration Syllabus. You can check and find what are the applicable topics and chapter for UPSC IAS Mains 2019 Exam.
Step 2: Select Best Reference Books for UPSC Public administration
To prepare UPSC Public administration Optional Subject, UPSC aspirants should prepare some reference books. We’ve already provided UPSC Reference Books for All optional papers. You can check our best-recommended books for the IAS exam at the given link below. The suggested books are included in optional and language Subjects.
Recommended books for Public administration:
- Administrative Thinkers by Prasad and Prasad
- Public Administration: Administrative Theories and Concepts by Fadia & Fadia
- Public Administration and Public Affairs 12th Edition – Nicholas Henry
- Mohit Bhattacharya- New horizons in Public administration
- Mohit Bhattacharya- Pub Ad A new look
- Public Administration: Concepts and Theories by Basu Rumki
- Indian Administration – Ramesh K. Arora & Rajni Goyal
- ARCs and committee reports
Step 3: Prepare a Study Plan
UPSC Mains Public Administration Optional subject: A study plan is very important for every exam preparation. It plays a key role in the success of getting a good score in the UPSC exam. Prepare a study plan for the UPSC exam. Make a monthly plan, weekly plan and daily schedule to prepare UPSC Public Administration, Optional Paper. Allot the time for exam preparation and set the time for playing, eating, watching TV, and studying.
Daily prepare a few hours and spend at least 8 hours for IAS exam preparation.
UPSC Public administration Preparation Plan for 3 months
If you have 3 months of preparation time for the UPSC Mains exam, you can prepare 8-9 hours per day.
|UPSC Preparation Plan for Public administration (Before 3 Months)|
|Paper A – Indian Language||1 hr daily|
|Paper B – English||1 hr daily|
|Paper 2 – General Studies 1||1 hrs. daily|
|Paper 3 – General Studies 2||1 hrs. daily|
|Paper 4 – General Studies 3||1 hrs. daily|
|Paper 5 – General Studies 4||1 hrs. daily|
|Paper 6 – Public administration Optional Paper 1||1 hrs. daily|
|Paper 7 – Public administration Optional Paper 2||1 hrs. daily|
Step 4: Prepare UPSC Public administration Important Topics
Public Administration Paper I and Paper II Important Topics
- New Public Management
- Citizen Charter
- Wilson, Riggs, Barnard, Follet, and Simon (Thinkers)
- Evolution and Present Status of the Discipline
- Challenges of the LPG
- Good Governance
- Decision-Making Theory
- Regulatory Authorities
- Right to Information
- Women Empowerment/ Women and Development
- O and M
- Niti Aayog
- Politics and Administration
- Ministry of Home Affairs and Ministry of Finance
- Bureaucracy and Development
- Participative Management
- PPP Model
- Social Audit
- Departments, Corporations, Companies
- Civil Society
- Administrative Law (Complete Chapter)
- Bureaucracy and democracy
- Administrative ethics
- Performance Appraisal
- Monetary and fiscal policies
- Accounts and Audit
- Code of Conduct and Discipline
- Role of Controller General of Accounts and Comptroller and Auditor General of India
- Rural Development Programmes: Foci and Strategies
- Municipal Governance: Structures, finance, and problem areas
- Reforms in Police
- Public Accounts Committee/ Estimates Committee
- Antidevelopment Thesis
- Strong State versus Market Debate
- MIS,PERT & CPM
- Evolution of Indian Administration (Complete Chapter)
- Problems of autonomy, accountability, and control
- Cabinet Secretariat; Prime Minister’s Office; and Central Secretariat
- President / Governor
- Second Administrative Reforms Commission
- 73rd and 74th Constitutional Amendment
- Union-State administrative, legislative and financial relations
- Chief Secretary
- Changing role of DM
- Problems of implementation
- Police-public relations
- Disaster management
As you know the marks of the optional paper are crucial to deciding your ranking in the final list, you to have to perform exceptionally well in the paper of your choice. Since the rest of the papers are compulsory for all, its only the optional paper that can make or break your fortune. So don’t try to do selective reading and gamble, as there is only one optional paper now.
Final Step: Prepare UPSC Public administration Previous Question Papers & Practice papers
UPSC Mains Public Administration Optional subject: Download UPSC Mains Public administration Question Papers. We’ve provided UPSC mains Animal husbandry & veterinary science Previous Question papers for download in PDF format.
Who should opt for Public administration?
Public administration is an optional subject listed of the UPSC IAS main examination. It is a relevant subject as it interlinked with governance and administration. This subject is not an interesting subject. But if approached with the right strategy and analysis, one can easily fetch a high score in Pub Ad. The aspirants have to gain the confidence and know the approach to writing Pub Ad answers and how to prepare for Pub Ad. Honestly, there is no best or worst optional, only the best fit for an individual. It is a decision you must take weighing the pros and cons of the subjects.
How much time does it take to prepare?
UPSC Mains Public Administration Optional subject: 4-5 months, if you study Public administration 12-15 hours per week. This should be enough. Also, it depends on how much can you recall your graduation concepts.
Ideally, aspirants need 4-5 months to complete the optional subject solely. Here we are giving the best suitable strategies for Public administration optional for the UPSC IAS Mains exam.
- Aspirants should have an exhaustive knowledge about the syllabus of Public administration optional.
- Candidates should know the basic concept of Public administration to tackle Paper II.
- Make short notes, flowchart and diagram will preparing. These short notes will help in revision time.
- Citing quotes from thinkers and personalities in the UPSC IAS Mains examination will help you to fetch good score in Pub Ad optional. The quotes are key to score well in Pub Ad.
- Aspirants opting Public administration as their option should update the up-to-date data taken from Government reports annual report regarding Public administration.
- The essential part of UPSC IAS Exam preparation is solving the previous year’s UPSC Mains questions papers. Public administration also aspirants should go through the Previous year question paper to extract an idea about exam patterns, trends, etc.
This article titled “How to Prepare UPSC Mains Public Administration Optional subject – Study Strategy – Suggested by Toppers ” gives the detailed information about the tips for the preparation of the UPSC 2019 exam for all optional papers यूपीएससी मेन्स पब्लिक एडमिनिस्ट्रेशन विषय. Additional information like Reference books for UPSC Mains, IAS Previous question papers are also given above. Students should follow those tips and prepare well for the exam and download the links for more information about UPSC.