Check out How to Prepare UPSC Civil Engineering 2020 Optional subject – Study Strategy. UPSC Mains Civil Engineering Optional subject Preparation Tips are provided here. UPSC Notification 2020 has released. Today we’ve provided Preparation Strategy for UPSC Civil Engineering optional Paper. UPSC has already announced IAS / Civil Services Exam Dates (यूपीएससी सिविल इंजीनियरिंग वैकल्पिक विषय). Before going to start the preparation strategy for UPSC, know UPSC Mains Syllabus. You can check Suggested Strategy for Civil Engineering optional for the UPSC IAS mains exam.
Content in this Article
How to Prepare UPSC Civil Engineering Optional Subject
Civil engineering is a professional engineering discipline that deals with the design, construction, and maintenance of the physical and naturally built environment, including works like roads, bridges, canals, dams, and buildings. Civil engineering is traditionally broken into a number of sub-disciplines. It is the second-oldest engineering discipline after military engineering, and it is defined to distinguish non-military engineering from military engineering.
- know your UPSC Civil Services Exam syllabus
- Select Best Reference Books
- Prepare a Study plan
- Prepare own Preparation Notes
- Practice Previous Question Papers
- Practice few Mock Test Papers
Why Civil Engineering optional?
- Paper 1 deals with Engineering Mechanics, Strength of Materials and Structural Analysis. Construction Management including safety in construction is based on the IS codes. The related IS-codes form an important part of this paper.
- Engineering subject so with enough preparation you can score very good marks in this, no such surety for humanities topics like pub ad, pol sci, etc.
- Allows you to appear in Engineering Services exam, GATE (for PSU jobs), pursue further studies – lots of back up options remain available
- You can even try the Engineering Services exam if you prepare for civil engineering.
UPSC Preparation Tips
UPSC Aspirants should follow exam tips to write the exam. Preparation tips are needed for any exam. UPSC exam should be conducted once in every year. Planning and hard work are very important to face any competitive exam. Below are some of the tips for preparation. The Paper I of Civil engineering Optional paper is which is like Engineering Mechanics, Strength of Materials and Structural Analysis.
Step 1: Know UPSC Civil engineering syllabus
In the previous article, we’ve provided UPSC Mains Civil engineering Syllabus. You can check and find what are the applicable topics and chapter for UPSC IAS Mains 2020 Exam.
Step 2: Select Best Reference Books for UPSC Civil engineering
To prepare the UPSC Civil engineering Optional Subject, UPSC aspirants should prepare some reference books. We’ve already provided UPSC Reference Books for All optional papers. You can check our best-recommended books for the IAS exam at the given link below. The suggested books are included in optional and language Subjects.
Recommended books for Civil engineering
- Basic and applied Fluid Mechanics-Garde
- Engineering Mechanics – Mchean
- Fluid Mechanics – Modi & Seth
- Prestress Concrete – N. Krishna Rajee
- RCC (LSM) – AK Jain
- Theory of Structure (Vol – II) – Vazirani and Ratwani
- Steel Structure – L S Negi
- Strength of Material – V N Vazaram
Step 3: Prepare a Study Plan
A study plan is very important for every exam preparation. It plays a key role in the success of getting a good score in the UPSC exam. Prepare a study plan for the UPSC exam. Make a monthly plan, weekly plan and daily schedule to prepare UPSC Civil engineering Optional Paper. Allot the time for exam preparation and set the time for playing, eating, watching TV, and studying.
Daily prepare a few hours and spend at least 8 hours for IAS exam preparation.
UPSC Civil engineering Preparation Plan for 3 months
If you have 3 months of preparation time for the UPSC Mains exam, you can prepare 8-9 hours per day.
|How to Prepare UPSC Civil Engineering (Before 3 Months)|
|Paper A – Indian Language||1 hr daily|
|Paper B – English||1 hr daily|
|Paper 2 – General Studies 1||1 hrs. daily|
|Paper 3 – General Studies 2||1 hrs. daily|
|Paper 4 – General Studies 3||1 hrs. daily|
|Paper 5 – General Studies 4||1 hrs. daily|
|Paper 6 – Civil engineering Optional Paper 1||1 hrs. daily|
|Paper 7 – Civil engineering Optional Paper 2||1 hrs. daily|
Step 4: Prepare UPSC Civil engineering Important Topics
Civil engineering Paper I and Paper II Important Topics
Paper 1 deals with Engineering Mechanics, Strength of Materials and Structural Analysis. Construction Management including safety in construction is based on the IS codes. The related IS-codes form an important part of this paper. Engineering subject so with enough preparation you can score very good marks in this, no such surety for humanities topics like pub ad, pol sci, etc. Paper-II deals with Construction, Construction Technology & CPM.
Final Step: Prepare UPSC Civil engineering Previous Question Papers & Practice papers
Download UPSC Mains Civil engineering Question Papers. We’ve provided UPSC mains Civil engineering Previous Question papers for download in PDF format.
Who should opt for Civil engineering?
How to Prepare UPSC Civil Engineering: Civil engineering as an optional is recommended only for civil engineers as you need in-depth subject knowledge for the two optional papers in the IAS exam. The syllabus is vast. It would be very difficult to actually cover the whole syllabus. There is no overlap with general studies in this subject. UPSC can ask dynamic questions and these can be difficult to answer unless you have a deep knowledge of the subject. If it is your graduation subject and you have good command then more time to devote to general studies and other aspects of preparation.
How much time does it take to prepare?
How to Prepare UPSC Civil Engineering: 4-5 months, if you study Civil engineering 12-15 hours per week. This should be enough. Also, it depends on how much can you recall your graduation concepts.
Ideally, aspirants need 4-5 months to complete the optional subject solely. Here we are giving the best suitable strategies for Civil engineering optional for the UPSC IAS Mains Exam.
- Aspirants should have an exhaustive knowledge about the syllabus of Civil engineering optional.
- Candidates should know the basic concept of Civil engineering to tackle Paper-II.
- Make short notes, flowchart and diagram will preparing. These short notes will help in revision time.
- Aspirants should guarantee that they are emphasizing sustainability and economic dimensions also.
- Aspirants opting for Civil engineering as their option should update the up-to-date data taken from Government reports annual reports regarding Civil Engineering.
- There would be plenty of diagrams for you to score.
- The essential part of UPSC IAS Exam preparation is solving the previous year’s UPSC Mains questions papers. For Civil engineering also aspirants should go through the Previous year question paper to extract an idea about exam patterns, trends, etc.
This article titled “How to Prepare UPSC Civil Engineering Optional subject – Study Strategy – Suggested by Toppers ” gives the detailed information about the tips for the preparation of the UPSC 2020 exam for all optional papers. Additional information like Reference books for UPSC Mains (यूपीएससी सिविल वैकल्पिक विषय), IAS Previous question papers are also given above. Students should follow those tips and prepare well for the exam and download the links for more information about UPSC.